We often consider household maintenance projects as drudgery, but in reality, few maintenance tasks reward homeowners as much as air conditioner maintenance. Here are some AC maintenance tasks you should do to improve your comfort, avoid breakdowns and take care of your equipment.
For those who are handy around the house, some jobs can be done by homeowners:
- Clean filters: Keeping your air filter unclogged is the most important AC maintenance task you can do because it reduces your energy consumption up to 15 percent. Changing the blower filter is also critical to AC maintenance.
- Clean condensate line: Over time, mold and algae can build up inside your condensate line, reducing your AC’s ability to control humidity and causing flood damage to your flooring.
- Clear debris: A buildup of grass clippings, leaves and other waste around and inside your outdoor condenser unit decreases airflow and your AC’s system capacity.
When your AC unit needs more than routine upkeep, it’s best to have an expert inspect your system. A professional has the training and equipment to maintain the more complex aspects of your system:
- Refrigerant: The EPA-certified service technicians at Western Hills Heating & Air Conditioning are qualified to safely handle, replace and dispose of coolant as well as test for leaks.
- Electrical: Not only do melted insulation and blackened or frayed wires call for the repair skills of a licensed electrician, but they also can indicate an underlying problem that only a professional technician can discover and fix.
- Calibrate and measure: Calibrating your thermostat, measuring airflow and checking the amperage on your blower motor all increase your air conditioner’s efficiency and your family’s comfort.
Maintaining your AC unit saves you money, extends its lifespan and increases its effectiveness. To learn more about the AC maintenance you should be doing, check out the maintenance services we offer at Western Hills Heating & Air Conditioning or call 812-227-3001.